Creating / Managing a Video Assignment Folder in the Media Library
When instructors are looking to collect longer-form video / media submissions from students, they may not be able to use Canvas' standard Assignment activities because the file sizes are often too large to upload and store. Instead, instructors can use an Assignment Folder in the Media Library to make a dedicated folder for students to upload their video / media files, which can even be configured to allow students to view what their peers submitted to the Assignment Folder.
Table of Contents
This article will address the following information:
Creating an Assignment Folder
- In your canvas course, click into the "Media Library" from the course navigation.
- Click the Gear icon in the top-right corner to open the Media Library folder settings.
- In the "Overview" section of the pop-up window, click the "Create Assignment Folder" button.
- On the Media Library course folder page, a new folder will be created called "Course Title [assignments]" where students can upload their video / audio files.
Allowing Students to View Other Student Submissions / Uploads
- By default, students will not be able see each others media uploaded to an Assignment Folder. This can be changed by clicking onto the Assignment Folder in the Media Library course folder.
- Click the Gear icon in the top-right corner to open the Media Library assignment folder settings.
- Toggle to the "Settings" tab in the left-hand navigation and check off the "Allow viewers to see each other's sessions."
- When done click the X button to close the assignment folder settings pop-up window.
Closing an Assignment Folder
Closing an assignment folder prevents viewers of this folder from accessing AND adding content to the assignment folder. The assignment folder and its content will remain accessible to you as a creator.
Once an assignment folder has been closed, it cannot be undone.
- Click the Gear icon in the top-right corner to open the Media Library folder settings of your main course folder.
- In the "Overview" section of the pop-up window, click the "Close" button below the Assignment Folder header.
- Click the "OK" button in the browser pop-up box that asks you to confirm that you want to close the Assignment Folder as it cannot be reopened again once closed.
- Once closed, the Assignment Folder's name will be appended to include the date it was closed in the title.
- You can create another Assignment Folder once the first one is closed by following the steps in the Creating an Assignment Folder section again.
For more help, please contact [email protected].