Available within Ed Discussion is the ability to create quick anonymous straw polls within a discussion thread. Creating quick polls in this way can be a great way to gain informal feedback on a topic, or pick the next direction of conversation.
For a more robust online polling solution, please consider Poll Everywhere.
Once polls are created they cannot be edited and will need a totally new poll if any changes need to be made.
Table of Contents
Creating a Poll
- Create a new post, and select Poll under the lightning bolt icon in the left-hand side of the editor menu.
- Provide your poll question / prompt in the "Question" field at the top of the pop-up box that opens.
- Under "Poll options" provide up to 12 possible options for participants to select from when completing the poll.
- Click the "Add Option" button to input more poll options
- Check off the "Multiple answers" checkbox if participants should be able to select more than one option in the poll.
- Check off the "Close automatically" option to select from a drop down of potential closing times.
- Closing times include in: ten minutes, one hour, one day, one week, and at a specific time.
- When ready, click the "Create" button.
Manually Closing a Poll
- Once your poll has been launched, if you have not set a date or time for the poll to close automatically, you can manually close your poll by going to the three dot menu in the top-right of the poll, and choose "Close Poll."
Polls can be re-opened after they have been closed through the same three dot menu, and participants can change their vote by revoking their selection and changing their options before resubmitting.
- Once the poll is closed, the results of the poll will be displayed for the participants on the right-hand side in line with the options.