Adding a Co-Host / Alternative Host for a Zoom Meeting
Zoom allows you to select other participants to serve as co-hosts / alternative hosts. These co-hosts / alternative hosts can start your scheduled Zoom meetings for you, as well as have expanded permissions within your Zoom session to manage things like participant waiting rooms, start and end polls, manage breakout rooms, and more.
Table of Contents
Co-Hosts Versus Alternative Hosts
- Co-hosts: Shares most of the controls that hosts have, allowing the co-host to manage the administrative side of the meeting, such as managing attendees. The host must assign a co-host during the meeting. Co-hosts cannot start a meeting. If a host needs someone else to start the meeting, they can assign an alternative host.
- Alternative hosts: Shares the same controls as co-hosts, but can also start the meeting. Hosts can assign alternative hosts when they schedule a meeting.
Learn more about Zoom's "Roles in a meeting."
Setting Alternative Host When Scheduling Events
When adding an alternative host while scheduling a new meeting, the alternative host must first have a Yale Zoom account. See our help article for more information.
When you are scheduling your meeting, the "Alternative Hosts" field allows you to add an alternative host to the session to start the meeting in the event you can not be there, as well as manage the event once started, like a regular co-host.
- Enter the Yale email address for the person(s) you want to be co-host.
- If you are adding multiple users, put a comma (,) between each user.
- Click "Save" when you have completed the settings for your session.
Setting Co-Host During Your Zoom Session
Co-hosts set during the Zoom session do not need a Yale Zoom account.
- In the Zoom toolbar of your meeting, click the "Manage Participants" button.
- From the "Participants" window that opens, find the user you want to make co-host and hover over their name.
- Click the "More" button that appears.
- From the additional menu that opens, select the "Make Co-Host" option.
- you will now see a pop-up asking you to confirm that this person should be a co-host. Click the "Yes" button.
- Repeat steps 1-4 for each person you want to be a co-host.