Copy Content from One Canvas Course Into Another Canvas Course
These instructions are used to copy content between Canvas course sites. For the vendor guide on how to copy content, please visit their article found here.
NOTE: While Import Course Content brings over much of the Canvas developed content in a previous version of your course, there are a number of external applications that need to be updated to work correctly in this new copy of your course. After you have imported a copy of your course content, please review the section below to continue refining your course.
Import Course Content: Copy a Canvas Course
1. Navigate to the Canvas course in which you wish to copy material into. Click "Settings" in your course navigation bar.
2. Click on the "Course Details" tab across the top.
3. Click "Import Course Content".
4. From the "Content Type" drop down menu, select "Copy a Canvas Course". Complete the "Import Content" form that appears.
5. Search for a course: Select the course you want to import from the drop down menu, or search for the course name. If the course is in a past term, make sure to click the "Include completed courses" checkbox.
6. Content: Select whether you want to import all content from the course or if you want to select just specific pieces of the content.
7. Options: You can optionally select to have the import process adjust events and due dates either by shifting dates based on dates you select, or by removing the dates altogether. See the section "Modify Due Dates During Import" below for more information.
8. Click the "Import" button.
- If you are importing all content - the process will begin and your course materials will be imported. Depending on how large your course is, this process may take several minutes to complete. You will be able to see the progress under the "Current Jobs" section of the Import Content page.
- If you are importing only specific content, please continue with the next steps.
Select Specific Content
1. If you opted to "Select specific content", you will see your import listed under the "Current Jobs" area of the Import Content Page. To choose which parts of your source course will be copied, click the "Select Content" button to the far right of the job.
2. Select the check boxes next to the content that you want to copy.
3. For some content types, you may be able to expand and see more options by clicking on the down arrow.
4. When you have selected everything that you want, click the "Select Content" button. The process will begin and your selected course materials will be imported. Depending on how large the content is, this process may take several minutes to complete. You will be able to see the progress under the "Current Jobs" section of the Import Content page.
Modify Due Dates During Import
When you import one course into another, during the import process, there is an option to modify the due dates and availability dates all at one time.
1. Select the option "Adjust events and due dates" in the Import Content form.
2. Fill out the original start date and the new start date.
3. You can click +Substitution to change which days of the weeks the events and due dates should now be on (if applicable).
Refining and updating your course
While Import Course Content brings over much of the content developed in a previous version of the course, there are a number of external applications that need to be updated to work correctly in this new copy of your course. If you used one fo the tools listed below in a previous version or your course, or in an early course sandbox, please review the information to update these resources as well.
|External Application||Steps to update this content|
Course Reserves content is not included with this process. In order to copy your Course Reserves content, please see the article: Course Reserves: Importing Items from a Previous Class.
Contact email@example.com if you have any questions or problems with Course Reserves.
|Media Library (Panopto)||
Media Library content is not included with this process. In order to copy your Media Library content, please see this article: How do I migrate Media Library course content from one library to another?
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or problems with Media Library.
|Perusall||Perusall allows for materials from another course to be used again in a new course. Please see Copying a Perusall Course to a New Course to learn more.|
||Custom links in your course navigation menu (created using the Redirect App) that point to content within your Canvas site are static links that do not update when imported into a new site. This means that once copied into the new course, the custom link will still point to your OLD Canvas site. You will need to manually update or delete/recreate these links in your new Canvas site. Check out our help article on how to create a custom link in the course navigation using the Redirect tool for details.
For more help, please contact email@example.com.