The Email Lists Tool is a tool that generates an email address for Instructors and TAs to use to connect with the users in their course. The email addresses provided by this tool can only be emailed by the official Yale email addresses of the instructors and TAs listed within the course site.
Before using the Email Lists Tool, please note the following requirements and limitations:
- Your course must be published and have the correct, current term (not "Default") to send an email though the Email Lists Tool.
- User must accept invitation to course to be added to the Email Lists Tool.
- You must enable the Email Lists Tool in your course to use it.
- Email list members are updated every 2 hours.
- Email list members will no longer be updated once the semester courses are no longer in session.
- Instructors / TAs can email all the course lists by default. If an instructor limits the TA’s course privileges to their enrolled section, then the TA will only be able to email sections in which they are enrolled.
- There is no central storage repository of emails sent to these email addresses. Instructors and TAs will need to keep their own copies of sent emails.
Table of Contents
This article will address the following information:
Adding the Email List Tool to Your Course Navigation
To use the email list tool, you must first add it to your course navigation.
- Click "Settings" in the course navigation.
- Choose the "Navigation" tab.
- Click and drag "Email Lists" item up to the enabled navigation item area.
- Click "Save" when done.
Creating the Email List
- The email list tool will now appear in your Course Navigation. Within your course navigation bar, click the "Email Lists" button.
- Click the "Create Email List" button.
- This button will become disabled once your email list is generated.
- A new list is created and the members are populated. An update will run that picks up any changes in enrollment in your course. This will be reflected every two hours.
Selecting and Viewing an Email List
- After the email list has been created, you will see a drop down menu. From the drop down menu, select one of the available lists that have been created. Lists you have access to may include:
- All Course Members (does not include anyone with the role of "Grader" in your course)
- Individual Course Sections - if applicable (if you are using an umbrella or unofficial cross-listed site, you will see the different sections of the course which have been combined to create your full course roster)
- Individual Discussion / Lab Sections - if applicable (if you have official discussion / lab sections that the students must register for separately, they will also get a separate email list)
- All Graders - if applicable
- Graders for Individual Sections - if applicable
- Once you have selected a list, click the "View Members" button.
- You will now see a full list of all of the people who are part of this list and the email address associated with each member.
- At the top of the page, you will see the email address that you can use to email this group of users. Click on the email address or you can highlight and copy the email address.
You can also click on an individual user's email address to send an email to just that user.
Opening an Email Client to Compose a Message
When you send a message to an Email Lists address, you will receive a copy of your message. Your copy will only show the Email Lists tool address in the "To" field.
- After copying the email address for the list, open your preferred email client (recommended email client is Outlook)
- Paste the email alias into the "To:" area, and proceed with composing your email as you typically would.
For more help, please contact [email protected].