How to Merge Course Sections
Merging course sections allows you to move section enrollments from individual courses and combine them into one course. This feature is helpful for instructors who teach several sections of the same course and only want to manage course data in one location. Instructors can allow students to view users in other sections or limit them to only view users in the same section. Section names do not change when they are merged; the section is just moved to another course.
NOTE: This is not an official cross-listing process. Courses that should be cross-listed in the registration system (Banner) will need to be done through the Registrar's Office.
Merging should be done while the courses are still unpublished and no course work has been submitted by students. Although you can un-merge sections, you will not want to do so if students have already submitting assignments and classwork.
The individual section sites are not maintained. If an instructor needs to have a combined site as well as the individual section sites, they will need to request an umbrella site through our umbrella site request form.
Merging Course Sections
1. Before you begin this process, go to the "Settings" area of the course site you want to contain all sections (parent course) and copy the Course ID number. This number can be found at the end of the URL of the course site as shown below.
2. Once you have the course ID number, navigate to the course you want to merge (child section). Go to "Settings" and click on the "Sections" tab.
3. On the sections screen, click on the title of the child section you'd like to move to the parent course.
4. On the next screen, click the "Cross-List this Section" button.
5. In the pop-up that appears, enter the course ID number of the parent course into the search box.
6. Confirm that the course you have selected is correct. If everything is correct, click the "Cross-List this Section" button.
7. The merged section now appears in the new course. The breadcrumbs show the new course code.
For more help, please contact [email protected].