Add Non-Yale Users (Guest Users) to Canvas
Please follow these steps to request Canvas accounts for non-Yale users. These are also known as guest accounts. All guest account requests are submitted through our Guest Account Request Form.
Users who have a NetID and an @yale.edu email address are not "guests" and should not be requested through a Guest Account Request. If you are unable to find and add a NetID / @yale.edu user to a course site in Canvas, please email email@example.com and request that the NetID be added to Canvas.
NOTE: The process for bulk requests has changed - please review the information below.
Bulk requests are submitted through the Guest Account Request Form.
Download the Bulk Guest Account CSV Template
- Go to the Guest Account Request Form.
- On the form, select the option to request more than one guest account.
- Read through the instructions on the form and download a copy of the Bulk Guest Account Template.
- Enter in your user data into the template following the guidelines below under Format For Your CSV File.
- Save your completed file as a CSV (Comma Delimited)(*csv) file.
NOTE: Do not save the file as CSV (Macintosh), CSV - UTF-8 (Comma delimited) or CSV (MS-DOS).
We recommend that you always download a fresh copy of the template each time you need to submit a bulk request to ensure that your submission is not corrupted in any way.
Format For Your CSV File
After you download a copy of the Bulk Guest Account Template from the form, you will need to enter the information for each user you are requesting into the CSV template file.
Below is a description of what information should be included. A sample row (Row 2) is provided in the template file as an example of how to format your data - please remove the sample student row before you enter you user data.
The template includes 3 columns - for each column, you will enter in the information as follows:
- full_name - Enter the user's first name and last name (Example: John Doe)
- password - Enter a generic password of at least 8 characters.
- email - Email address
NOTE: Do not change the column heading titles in Row 1 of the template file.
You will likely want to pick one generic password that you give to all of your students. When the student logs in, they will be able to change their password to something unique. For instructions on how guest users change their password, please visit this help article. Please keep in mind that passwords need to be eight or more characters.
NOTE: Files must be in the CSV format and header names must not be modified. Any deviation will cause the bulk account creation to fail, and the file will be sent back to you for revision.
Submit Completed File
- Go back to the Guest Account Request Form.
- Make sure that you have selected the option to create multiple guest accounts .
- In the upload area, click the "Choose File" button .
- Navigate to and select your completed template.
- Click the "Upload" button .
- Click the "Submit Form" button  to submit your accounts for processing.
Please allow 3-5 business days for these requests to be completed.
You will be notified when the guest accounts have been created. Guest accounts will NOT automatically be added to any courses. See below for adding students.
Single Account Requests
Single guest account requests are submitted through the Guest Account Request Form.
- Go to the Guest Account Request Form.
- On the form, select the option to request only one guest account.
- Complete the form with the user's name, email address, and password (optional).
You will be notified when the user account has been created. Guest accounts will NOT automatically be added to any courses. See below for adding students.
NOTE: You can set up a password for a single account or you can skip the password and the user will be emailed asking them to complete registration and set up their own password.
Once the account(s) are created, you can add them to any course by going to the course site and using the "People" tool. You can add people using their email addresses. For instructions on how to add users to a course, please visit this help article.
For more help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.