Creating Groups in Your Course
Group sets house the different groups within a course. Once you have created a group set, you can create groups and either manually or automatically enroll students into those groups.
Table of Contents
Creating a Group Set
- Click on "People" in the course navigation.
- Click "+Group Set" in the top right corner.
- Set the name and options for your group set, and then click "Save":
- Group Set Name: This is the name of your set of groups, NOT the name of an individual group.
- Allow self sign-up: This allows students to enroll themselves into their chosen groups.
- Require group members to be in the same section: If you allow students to enroll themselves into a group, you can specify that they must be in the same section.
- Split students into __ groups: Automatically divides students into the specified number of groups. You can also specify that they must be in the same section.
- I'll create groups manually: Manually create the number of groups, as well as manually enroll students.
Creating Groups within a Group Set
After creating a group set, you will be taken to the tab for the new group set. If you chose the "Split students into __ groups" option, groups will have already been created for you, and students will have been randomly assigned.
- To manually create a new group, click "+Group."
- Name the group and optionally limit the number of members to a group, then click "Save."
Enrolling / Moving Students in Groups
- If you select “I’ll create groups manually” or you would like to move students around groups, you can click and drag their names to the chosen group.
- Click on the arrow next to the group name to expand and view the group enrollments.