Files and File Storage Quotas in Canvas
By default, you are given 1000 MB (1 GB) of storage space within your Canvas course. If you have reached the 1000 MB (1 GB) limit in your Canvas course, you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org to increase storage size up to a limit of 2000 MB (2.1 GB). Any larger limits may require a consult to evaluate file storage usage. It is advised that media files should be uploaded into the Media Library tool in your Canvas course. For more information about file quotas in Canvas, please refer to the Canvas File Quota Guide. For other alternatives, please refer to our "Best Practices for File Storage" article.
There are 3 types of file storage in Canvas:
Course File Storage
Course file storage is set at a default of 1 GB per course. Files that count against the course storage limits are as follows:
- Any files uploaded into the course content.
Group File Storage
Group file storage is set at a default of 50 MB per course. Files that count against the course storage limits are as follows:
- Any files uploaded into the group by the group members and/or instructor.
Personal File Storage
Personal File Storage is set at a default of 100 MB per user. Files that count against the personal storage limits are as follows:
- Files uploaded directly into your personal file storage area
- Files uploaded to ungraded assignments
- Files uploaded to ungraded discussions
- Files attached to “Conversations” (Inbox/Email)
Note to Students
- Files that are submitted as part of a graded assignment or Graded discussion will appear in your personal file storage area, but they will not count against your quota.
- Files that are submitted as part of a graded assignment cannot be deleted from your personal file storage area.
- Assignment submissions cannot exceed 5 GB. However, media uploads cannot exceed 500 MB.
- Files submitted to previous courses (courses that have been concluded) are not automatically deleted from the student’s personal file storage area.
For more help, please contact email@example.com.