By default, you are given 1500 MB (1.5 GB) of storage space within your Canvas course, however, there are two other storage space types: Group and Personal. These file storage types have their own particular quotas, and are used in their own specific times and places.
If you have reached the 1500 MB (1.5 GB) limit in your Canvas course, you may contact [email protected] to increase storage size up to a limit of 2500 MB (2.5 GB). Any larger limits may require a consult to evaluate file storage usage.
It is advised that media files should be uploaded into the Media Library tool in your Canvas course. For other alternatives, please refer to our "Best Practices for File Storage" article.
Course file storage is set at a default of 1.5 GB per course. Files that count against the course storage quota are as follows:
- Any files uploaded into the course content sections (i.e. Files, Modules, Assignment descriptions, etc.).
Group file storage is set at a default of 50 MB per group per course. Files that count against the course storage quotas are as follows:
- Any files uploaded into the group Canvas site by the group members and / or instructor.
Personal File Storage is set at a default of 500 MB per user. Files that count against the personal storage quotas are as follows:
- Files uploaded directly into your personal file storage area
- Files uploaded to ungraded assignments
- Files uploaded to ungraded discussions
- Files attached to “Conversations” (Inbox/Email)
Note about Students' Personal File Storage
- Files that are submitted as part of a graded assignment or Graded discussion will appear in the personal file storage area, but they will not count against their quota.
- Files that are submitted as part of a graded assignment cannot be deleted from their personal file storage area.
- Assignment submissions cannot exceed 500MB. However, media uploads cannot exceed 5GB.
- Files submitted to previous courses (courses that have been concluded) are not automatically deleted from the student’s personal file storage area.