Enabling / Viewing Anonymous Feedback
The anonymous feedback tool in Canvas allows students to provide anonymous feedback to instructors at any time during the semester. When enabled, students can go to the tool and enter in textual feedback into an open-ended text entry field.
Although the Anonymous Feedback tool does not allow instructors to create text prompts for students to respond to, instructors can provide questions in advance to students so they can include it in their responses.
Any feedback students submit is only accessible to official instructors of record (having the role of "Instructor" in the Canvas site), and student submissions are not shared with administrators or other users outside of the course.
Only official instructors and students enrolled within the course can use this tool. If there is more than one user in the Canvas site with the role of Instructor, all of these Instructors will be able to see the student feedback.
Please keep in mind that this tool differs from the Mid-Semester Feedback tool. Please refer the "Mid-Semester Feedback: Overview" article for information on that particular tool.
Table of Contents
Enabling the Anonymous Feedback Tool
- The Anonymous Feedback tool is, by default, disabled in all courses. To enable, click on "Settings" from the course navigation.
- From the "Settings" page, make sure that "Navigation" is the active tab.
- Click and drag the item called "Feedback" from the bottom disabled navigation section to the top active navigation section.
- Scroll down and click "Save" to finalize the changes made.
- Once enabled, it will show up on the course navigation. Click "Feedback" from the navigation to access the tool.
Viewing Anonymous Feedback Posts
- Once in the Anonymous Feedback tool, if students have submitted feedback you will see a preview of the comment in the "Comment" column of the table.
- Clicking on the comment preview text will open a window to view the full comment.
- You can see if the comment has been read or unread in the "Status" column.
- Opening the full comment will automatically mark the comment as read.
- You can also see the date and time of when the comment was submitted in the "Date Posted" column.
- You also have the option to download all of the feedback into a CSV file. In order to download feedback, click the "Download CSV" button.
For courses with multiple instructors, if one instructor reads the feedback, it will appear as “Read” for all instructors.
For more help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.