When creating a quiz in a Canvas course users will now have the option to choose Classic Quizzes or New Quizzes. This will allow users to become acquainted with the New Quizzes features before fully moving to New Quizzes.
The Canvas New Quizzes tool is an assessment tool within Canvas that is slated to replace the current quiz engine (now known as "Classic Quiz") within Canvas.
At this time, Canvas has not articulated an official end of life for Classic Quizzes and a suggested or mandated migration over to the new quiz engine.
Classic Quizzes and New Quizzes share many of the same quizzing functions. However, the two quiz tools function rather differently.
- New Quizzes will deliver graded and ungraded quizzes in a manner more in line with Canvas Assignments.
- Graded and Ungraded surveys will be removed in New Quizzes. To prepare for this loss of functionality, Canvas @ Yale has integrated the Qualtrics LTI, which allows instructors to deliver surveys in their Canvas course using Qualtrics Surveys.
- Classic and New Quizzes question banks are separate and cannot be shared.
For a more detailed comparison table of Classic and New Quiz features, please refer to the "New Quiz Feature Comparison" document.
During this phased transition period, Canvas allows instructors to use either Classic or New Quizzes. When creating a quiz in your course site, you will now be able to select which quiz engine you would like to use.
- From the "Quizzes" page in your course site, click on "+Quiz" at the top-right corner.
- This will open up a "Choose a Quiz Engine" pop-up box. From here, you can choose between the two quiz engines.
- "Classic Quizzes" is the original quizzing tool that is being phased out, however you can still create and use Classic Quizzes by selecting this option. If you are not ready to move to the new version, select this option.
- "New Quizzes" is the new quizzing tool that is being released in this transition. If you would like to test out the New Quizzes interface and functions, select this option.
- If you would like to save your quiz engine selection, check off "Remember my choice for this course." You can always reset your selection if you change your mind.
- Click "Submit" to move forward with quiz creation.
- If you change your mind about your remembered quiz engine choice, you can reset your selection by clicking on the three dot icon at the top-right of the Quiz page and click "Reset quiz engine choice."
- To copy an existing Classic Quiz over to New Quizzes, click on the three dot icon next to the quiz.
- Click "Migrate" to convert the quiz to the New Quizzes format.
A New Quiz cannot be converted back to a Classic Quiz.
- A new, unpublished quiz will appear below the original classic quiz. This quiz will open in the New Quiz format, which you can start exploring and editing in the New Quiz engine.
For more help, please contact [email protected].