How do I Create an Ungraded, No-Submission Assignment (reading assignment)?
Instructors can use Assignments to create ungraded, no submission assignment for their students. Typically, this type of assignment is used to assign readings to students that have due dates. These types of assignments will be listed in the Course Summary section of the Syllabus tool but will not be listed in the Canvas Grades area.
Create the Assignment
- Click on Assignments  from the course navigation.
- Click +Assignment  at the top right corner.
- Name your assignment .
- Enter a description or assignment details in the rich content editor .
- If you would like to attach files, you can use the rich content editor menu to select the Insert > Document.
Below the rich content editor are assignment settings. For an ungraded, no-submission assignment, you would want to enter the following:
- Points  - Set the number of points to 0.
- Assignment Group  - Select an assignment group or create a new assignment group**. Because these are a special type of assignment, you may wish to have a separate Assignment group to keep these assignments separated from any graded assignments you may have.
Assignment Groups are a way to organize activities listed in the Assignments tool in Canvas. Assignment Groups can be used to visually arrange activities together in any way that makes the most sense for your course (examples: by activity type, by topic, by week, etc..). Assignment Groups can also be weighted so that the scores of activities within the group will count for a certain percentage of the final grade. Click the links below for more information about Assignment Groups:
- Display Grade As  - Select Not Graded
- Assign  - Select who and when will see the assignment. To ensure that the Course Summary section of the Syllabus tool is organized properly, you will at least need to provide a due date .
- Click Save (saves a draft) or Save & Publish .
For more help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.