Canvas Updates for Summer 2021
Notable changes to the Canvas @ Yale environment, last updated 04/30/2021.
Table of Contents
This article will address the following information:
Canvas's core functionality is continuously updated throughout the year. Here are some of the more notable changes you should be aware of.
- Modifying the Course Dates in your Canvas site and Restricting access to your course before/after the course opens
- Canvas Online Submission Assignments - WebCam Submissions (student guide)
- Reassign a student submission (only for online submission assignments with due dates and remaining attempts)
- Rich Content Editor - Pretty HTML Editor
Yale Student COVID Training Requirements - NEW PROCESS FOR STUDENTS
For Summer 2021, students returning to campus will need to fill out a compact similar to what was required for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021. For the summer students there will only be one COVID training site and students will need to manually join the course themselves. Below are the steps and process for students:
NOTE: The Student COVID Training for Summer will open on May 3, 2021 at 8:00am.
- Students will need go to the Student COVID Training: SU21 Enrollment Site
- If not already logged into Canvas, the student will be prompted to log into Canvas (click the NetID button and log in with their Yale NetID and Password)
- On the enrollment page, click the Enroll in Course button.
- Students will get a confirmation screen showing that they are now enrolled in the course and at that point they may click the Go to the Course button to view the Student COVID Training course.
- Once in the course, students will need to click on and review the assignment Summer 2021 Student Return to Campus COVID-19 Training.
Detailed Canvas Course Titles
Starting in Summer 2021, the Canvas course titles have been updated to be more accurate and readable by eliminating truncated words and abbreviations, adding in proper spacing, and removing un-rendered HTML code. This change should not impact courses in any other way.
Course titles will continue to be formatted as normal with the Primary Course Code, Number, Section and Term followed by the expanded Course Title.
Example: SAMP 100 01 (FA21): Full Detailed Title