Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down a student's testing environment. When used, students must download the browser in order to take a Canvas Quizzes in which an instructor requires a lockdown environment. LockDown Browser prevents students from browsing other sites on the internet and from opening other programs on their computer. LockDown Browser can be enabled on any graded quiz in your course site.
NOTE: The use of LockDown Browser is not a guarantee to prevent academic dishonesty - students who have access to other internet-enabled devices could still potentially access the internet.
Why Use LockDown Browser
Although LockDown browser does not fully protect against academic dishonesty, it may be useful to you if you would like the following features during a Canvas Quiz:
- Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Prevention of access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and remote desktops
- Printing and screen capture functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented
- Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts and task switching are disabled
- An assessment cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading