Canvas Announcements: Overview
Instructors in a Canvas course have the ability to send Announcements to students in their course. Announcements are found in the Course Navigation of each Canvas course site. This is a one way communication tool to send important updates and information to your students.
Table of Contents
Why use Canvas Announcements?
- Send important updates and information to all students in a single post
- Set up announcements in advance to automatically send at a specific date and time
- Students receive email notification with the announcement attached
Use Cases for Canvas Announcements
A non-exhaustive list outlining what Instructors can use the Canvas Announcement tool to communicate include:
- Changes in course meeting dates and times
- Reminders to complete upcoming assignments / assessments
- Sharing additional course and extra-curricular materials
- Weekly class introductions and wrap-ups
How do I get started using Canvas Announcements?
To learn more about how to use Canvas Announcements, please reference:
What will my students see?
By default, students will receive a notification email when new announcements are posted.
Emails generated from Canvas Announcements will have limited formatting carried over to the emailed message. Formatting that will be preserved includes:
- Making text bold, italics, underlined
- Ordered Lists
- Unordered Lists
Students can also access a history of all posted announcements by going to "Announcements" in the Course Navigation.
For more help, please contact email@example.com.