Why am I not getting copies of my notifications in my Yale email account?
Each user has control over what notifications they will receive. Check out our help article on Student Notification Recommendations.
SOLUTION: Verify your Notification Preferences
In Canvas, all users have the ability to set their default Account-Level Notification Preferences as well as modify their Course-Level Notification Preferences. Course Level Notifications Preferences are inherited from the Account-Level Notification Preferences settings, but any changes made at the Course-Level will over-ride the Account-Level settings.
Updating your Account-Level Notification Preferences
Your Account-Level Notifications Preferences will set your default settings for all courses. In the list of available notifications, make sure that you have set the appropriate frequency for the notifications you want to receive.
Check out our help article on how to update your notification preferences.
What are the account-level notification frequency options?
For each preference listed, your notification frequency options are:
 - Immediately (check mark icon)
 - A summary at the end of the day (clock icon)
 - A summary at the end of the week (calendar icon)
 - Do not receive (X icon)
Updating your Course-Level Notification Preferences
You can change your notification preferences for each course you are enrolled in. The default Course-Level Notifications Preferences are inherited from the Account-Level settings, but any changes you make at the Course-Level will override your default Account-Level settings.
You will want to check:
- That notifications are enabled for the course [A] (by default, your notifications should be on by default in all courses)
- In the list of available notifications, make sure that you have set the appropriate frequency for the notifications you want to receive. [B]
Check out our help article on how to update your course-level notification preferences.
What are the course-level notification frequency options?
For each preference listed, your course notification frequency options are:
 - Notify Immediately (solid bell)
 - A summary at the end of the day (calendar with number)
 - A summary at the end of the week (calendar with date boxes)
 - Notifications off(clear bell with slash)
SOLUTION: Check your spam messages / White list notifications from Canvas
Check the spam folder for your email client. If you find that your notification emails are going to your spam folder, you will need to white list the email address from which notification messages are sent. The sender email address all notifications is:
In your inbox, notification emails will likely show the sender as
"Course Name <firstname.lastname@example.org>" or "User Name <email@example.com>".
Different email clients have different settings, permissions, and processes - so you will want to look up what is appropriate for the tool you use to manage your email. Below are the 2 most common tools:
SOLUTION: Verify that your email address is confirmed
For some users, their email address gets into an "unconfirmed" state when Canvas tries to send a notification and receives a bounce-back email. This can happen if you have an email address that is inaccurately entered in Canvas or sometimes it can happen due to an email server issue out of your control.
To check the status of your email:
- Go to the Account .
- Click on Settings .
- Look at your default email address - if you see a ! indicator , your email address is currently not confirmed.
- Click on the unconfirmed email address .
- In the pop-up, click the Re-send Confirmation link .
- Go to your email account and find/open the confirmation email.
- In the email, click the Click here to confirm this registration link .
If you do not receive the confirmation email or your email continues to say unconfirmed...
Contact Instructure Support for assistance by clicking the Help button [A] in the global navigation menu and then either call the phone hotline number provided or use the online chat option.
NOTE: This issue cannot be resolved by the Canvas @ Yale Support staff - you will need to contact the Instructure (vendor) support for assistance.