Modifying Your Canvas Course-Level Notification Settings
Within Canvas @ Yale, you can modify your notification preferences to determine how frequently you receive email notifications from individual Canvas @ Yale course sites. Your account-level notification settings are your default notification preferences, which will be used in all Canvas courses.
Account-level notification settings are overridden by course-level notification preferences. Review the Modifying Your Default Canvas Account Notification Settings article for more information.
Table of Contents
This article will address the following information:
Changing Course-Level Notification Preferences
Notifications received from Canvas to your email address will come from "[Course Name] <[email protected]>"
- In the course site where you want to update your notification settings, navigate to the "Home" page.
- Click the "View Course Notifications" button in the right-hand column of options.
- Next to each notification item in the list, click the icon in the "Email" column to select the notification frequency.
Notification Frequency Icons
Notify Immediately (solid bell): Receive notification email right away.
- Notifications will be delayed one-hour to capture any changes, which prevents multiple notifications at the same time.
Daily summary (calendar with number): Daily notification via email.
- Daily notifications will be delivered around 6pm.
Weekly summary (calendar with date boxes): Weekly notification via email.
- Weekly notifications will be delivered Saturday between 4pm and 6pm.
- Notifications off (clear bell with slash): Does not send notification email for that item.
Enable / Disable Notifications For an Entire Course
You can choose to enable / disable notifications for an entire course you are enrolled in by toggling the "Enable Notifications" setting at the top of the "Course Notification Settings" page for the course.
- If the toggle button is green with a check mark, you have enabled notifications for the course.
- If the toggle button is gray with an x, you have disabled notifications for the course.
Description of Course-Level Notification Types
Please see below for the description of each notification type.
What functionality is covered
||Assignment due date change
||Course grading policy change
||Change to course content including: Pages, Quiz Content, Assignment Content
||New files added to your course
||New announcements in your course
|Announcements Created By You
||New announcements created by you, and replies to announcements you've created
||Includes: Assignment/submission grade entered/changed; Grade weight changed
||Invitation for: Web conference; Group; Collaboration; Course Enrollment Invite; Peer Review reminder
||Late assignment submission
||Assignment submission comment
||Content was synced from a blueprint course to associated courses
|New Topic||New discussion topic in your course
|New Reply||New reply on a topic you're subscribed to
|New Mention||New mention in a discussion|
|Student Appointment Signups*
||Student appointment sign-up
||New appointment on your calendar
||New appointment time slots are available for signup
||New and change items on your course calendar
||A conference recording is ready
*Instructor and Admin only
For more technical details about each notification setting, please refer to the vendor's Canvas Notifications documentation, which provides a much more detailed explanation of the notification settings and behaviors.
For Account-level notification setting recommendations, please refer to the articles below:
For general help, please contact [email protected].