Non-Yale (Non-NetID) Participant
These instructions are for users who are not official Yale faculty/staff/students and do not have Yale NetIDs.
Getting an account
If you are a non-Yale, non-NetID user, your account will need to be requested by an instructor or admin. For more information about how accounts are requested, visit this help article on how to "Add Non-Yale Users (Guest Users) to Canvas". Once you have an account, you can login to Canvas by clicking the Guest option.
How do I access my courses?
An instructor or an administrator will need to enroll you in a course to give you access. If you believe that you should have access to a course, but do not see it in your list of courses, please contact your instructor or an administrator.
Accessing courses for the first time
Once added to the course, you will receive an email invitation to the course.
- Be sure that you click the “Accept” button in that email, or log into Canvas and click the “Accept” button on the Dashboard page.
- Once you accept the invitation, you will be officially added to the course, and you will be able to locate the course on your Dashboard
- You will only need to accept the invitation once.
Where do I find my courses?
- You can access your course from the "Dashboard' or by clicking on the "Courses" icon in the left-side global navigation bar.
- If you have a long list of courses, you may need to click the "All Courses" link to view the full list.
What is my password?
There are 2 ways you can receive your initial password:
- A generic password was set on your behalf - you should have received an email from your instructor or an administrator informing you of your password.
- An email was sent to you requesting that you complete the registration process and to set your own password.
I forgot my password - How can I reset my password?
- Go to the main login screen at http://canvas.yale.edu
- Click the "Guest" login option.
- On the login page, click the "Forgot Password?" link (shown above).
- On the next screen enter your login ID (in most cases, your login ID will be your email address.
- An email will be sent to your designated email address asking you to set a new password.
Guest account users are responsible for managing their passwords using the these instructions. The Canvas support team does not reset or change passwords on behalf of any Canvas user.
How do I change my password?
To change your password, follow the instructions on "How do I change my login password?"
Why can't I be added to any courses?
Instructors may run into an error when trying to manually add you to a course if your email address is not confirmed. In this situation, the instructor can either add you using your login ID (alternatively called NetID for guest accounts), which will be the same as your email address, or you can confirm you email address. To confirm your email address, please see instructions below:
How do I confirm my email address?
In most cases, email addresses for guest accounts do not get automatically confirmed. If your email address requires confirmation, but you did not receive a confirmation email, you can have it resent:
- Click on your profile icon at the top left of the global navigation and select "Settings".
- On the right hand side, you will see you email address. The exclamation point indicates an issue with the email address. Click on the email address itself to resend the confirmation.
- Once you have received the email, follow the instructions to complete the confirmation. Your account is now available to be added to courses.
For more help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.