Accessing and Managing Your Canvas Account as a Yale NetID User
Yale University faculty, staff, and students are all issued a NetID which is used to grant access to Yale's instance of Canvas. As NetID users in Canvas, you access and manage your Canvas account through the primary forms of support for Yale systems.
Table of Contents
This article will address the following information:
- Accessing Canvas @ Yale as a NetID User
- Canvas NetID Account Password
- Finding Your Canvas Courses
- Canvas NetID Account FAQ
Accessing Canvas @ Yale as a NetID User
- Navigate to Canvas @ Yale and click the "NetID" button.
- You will be prompted to input your Yale NetID and Universal Password, if you are not already authenticated.
- This is the same login information that you use to access your Yale email.
- Once authenticated, you will be brought to your Canvas Dashboard.
Canvas NetID Account Password
Changing your NetID password will change your password for all applications that utilize your single sign-on authentication.
The Educational Technology / Canvas @ Yale support team does not reset or change passwords on behalf of any Canvas user.
Your Canvas NetID password is the same single sign-on password that is used when authenticating into all other Yale services and online tools. To reset your password, you will need to contact the ITS Help Desk or use the link below:
Finding Your Canvas Courses
Note for students: The Canvas site must be published by the instructor / administrator before you can access it. You can verify the publish status of the Canvas site from your "All Courses" area. If the course is not published, contact the course instructor / administrator.
Course enrollment is handled through the Yale Course Search and registration system, which syncs with Canvas. If you are not seeing a course on Canvas that you should be enrolled in (as an instructor or as a student), please reach out to the registrar's office by emailing [email protected].
- You can access your course from the Canvas "Dashboard" by clicking on a course tile.
- If you do you not see your course on the Dashboard, click the "Courses" icon in the left-side global navigation bar.
- you may need to click the "All Courses" link to view the full list.
Accepting a Course Invite
If you are manually added to a course, you will receive an email invitation to your Yale email address.
- Be sure that you click the “Accept” button in that email, or log into Canvas and click the “Accept” button on the Dashboard page in the top banner.
- Once you accept the invitation, you will be added to the course, and you will be able to locate the course on your Dashboard.
- You will only need to accept the invitation once.
Canvas NetID Account FAQ
If you enter the wrong password for your account too many times, your account can be "locked." To unlock your account, you will need to contact the ITS Help Desk:
- ITS Help Desk Phone: 203-432-9000
- ITS Help Desk Email: [email protected]
If you do have a Canvas account and you receive an "Account Information Not Recognized" error, you may be experiencing browser issues. Please try doing the following:
For more help, please contact [email protected].