Personal Pronouns in Canvas
Pronouns can be set locally in Canvas through an individuals profile settings. These pronouns are local to Canvas, and need to be set if individuals wish to use this option. When enabled, pronouns will appear next to your name in the following areas in Canvas.
- Act as User Page
- Assignment Creation Menu
- Assignment Peer Review Page
- Comment Fields
- Course Sections List
- People Pages (Account, Course, and Group)
- Student Context Card
- User Navigation Menu
- User Profile
- User Settings
Please note, LTI tools or external applications that integrate into Canvas, including Canvas's Analytics, do not currently support displaying pronouns.
How to set your pronouns in Canvas
1. Login to Canvas, and go to your Account area, and select Settings.
2. Select Edit Settings from the right side menu
3. Locate the Pronouns section of your profile, and select from the pulldown your personal pronouns. Click Update Settings to save the changes.
If you do not see a set of pronouns that you identity with, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Your pronouns have now been set, and will appear next to your name in Canvas. You can change them at any time.
Why don't I see my Namecoach Pronouns in Canvas?
You may be aware that you can also set your pronouns and name pronunciation through Namecoach. While Namecoach values are integrated into the Canvas Photo Roster, at this time we do not have an integration with the Namecoach pronouns and the Canvas user profile.
The Canvas Photo Roster is only available to those with the Instructor or Teaching Assistant roles in Canvas. We would encourage individuals to also set personal pronouns through the Canvas user profile because this is visible to all participants in a course.
To set your Namecoach name pronunciation or pronouns, please follow the following link, and your name pronunciation will also appear on the Yale Directory, and your name pronunciation and personal pronouns will appear in the Canvas Photo Roster.