A user's pronouns are set locally in Canvas through an individual's Canvas profile. When enabled, your pronouns will appear next to your name in the following areas in Canvas @ Yale:
- Act as User Page
- Assignment Creation Menu
- Assignment Peer Review Page
- Comment Fields
- Course Sections List
- People Pages (Account, Course, and Group)
- Student Context Card
- User Navigation Menu
- User Profile
- User Settings
LTI tools or external applications that integrate into Canvas, including Canvas's native analytics tools, do not currently support displaying pronouns.
Table of Contents
Setting Your Pronouns in Canvas
- In Canvas, navigate to the "Account" section of the Global Navigation menu, and select "Settings."
- From your account settings page, click the "Edit Settings" button on the right-hand side menu.
- Locate the "Pronouns" section on the profile settings page and select your personal pronouns from the pull-down menu.
- Click the "Update Settings" button to save the changes.
If you do not see a set of pronouns that you identity with, please contact [email protected].
- Your pronouns have now been set and will appear next to your name in Canvas.
Why don't I see my Namecoach pronouns in Canvas?
You may be aware that you can also set your pronouns and name pronunciation through Namecoach. While Namecoach values are integrated into the Canvas Photo Roster, at this time we do not have an integration with the Namecoach pronouns and the Canvas user profile. The Canvas Photo Roster is only available to those with the Instructor or Teaching Assistant roles in Canvas.
We encourage individuals to also set their personal pronouns through the Canvas user profile because this is visible to all participants in a course.