End of Add / Drop Period
This article provides information on Canvas enrollments for officially registered students and visitors at the end of the add / drop period for all schools.
The information provided below has been updated to reflect the new early registration, and course selection and add / drop process for Yale College Students. Graduate and Professional School students will eventually follow this same process once their schools adopt the new registration process.
This page was last updated in Spring 2022.
Table of Contents
Visitor Purge Timeline
Student (Role) - A student who is officially registered and enrolled in a Canvas course because they have added the course to their Registration Worksheet during early registration and/or the add / drop period.
Visitor (Role) - A student who added a Canvas course to their Canvas Worksheet to experience the course prior to officially enrolling in it on the Registration Worksheet during early registration and/or the add / drop period.
- Instructors and Visitors (those student-users that added a course on their Canvas Worksheet in Yale Course Search and are not officially registered for the course) are notified in advance of the pre-determined date that Visitor enrollments will be removed from courses via a Global Announcement on Canvas.
- Before and after this Global Announcement on Canvas has been posted, Visitors who wish to unofficially audit a course can send a request to the course instructor.
- Instructors can add these students to their course with the role of "Guest Student" to avoid losing access to the course sites.
- Shortly after the last day of the latest school's add / drop period†, all Visitor enrollments will be removed automatically from Canvas courses.
†Add / Drop period closes on different dates for different schools. Visitor enrollments cannot be purged until all schools' add / drop periods have ended.
Visitor enrollments (as enrolled from the Banner-to-Canvas feed) will be automatically purged from courses after add / drop has ended—but the timing of that purge varies from semester to semester.
Global Announcements (visible on the dashboard page in Canvas) are posted about a week before to notify both visitors and instructors when the visitor enrollments will be purged from the system.
There may be multiple scenarios / enrollment situations you need to address as the add / drop date approaches in regards to granting Guest Student access to your Visitor students if they are planning to remain in your course site without officially registering for the course.
If you have manually added any students to your course with the role of “Visitor,” these students will also be removed as part of the end of add / drop processes as well.
If you receive a request from a manually added "Visitor" to remain in your course site:
- Go to the “People” tool in your course navigation.
- Edit the user’s Course Role to “Guest Student.”
For instructions on changing a manually added user’s course role, please visit our support article Editing User Roles in Your Course
Adding a Visitor as a "Guest Student" will not resolve official registration / enrollment issues.
If you receive a request from a Visitor who officially registered for your course (via Yale Course Search's Canvas worksheet), you will not be able to modify their course role.
These students will either need to:
- Officially register for the course through Yale Course Search and/or with the assistance of their departmental registrar.
- Have the instructor add the student to the course as a "Guest Student" so they have two roles. This will allow the students to be listed as "Visitor" and "Guest Student" in the course, which will prevent them from being removed at the end of the add / drop period as only their "Visitor" role will be purged.
- In order to do so, please visit our Adding / Removing Users in Your Course support article for more directions.
If a student is listed with multiple roles in the same section within your Canvas site, as long as one of their roles is "Student" or "Guest Student" they will not lose access to your course site when the visitor enrollment is removed.
However, if you are using custom Canvas course sections to subdivide students for targeted assignments / announcements / etc., you will need to add the user's to your custom course section with the role of "Guest Student" to ensure they are not removed from those specific course items.
If you are listed as a Visitor in a Canvas course at the end of the add / drop period, you either added the course to your Canvas Worksheet or you may have been manually enrolled into the course by your instructor or department / school registrar.
- You need to add the course to your Registration Worksheet. When you add the course to your Registration Worksheet, you will be added to the course as a Student (may take up to 2 hours for your enrollment to be reflected in Canvas).
- If you leave the course on your Canvas Worksheet, you will still be listed with the Visitor role in the Canvas course, but after the add / drop date your Visitor role will automatically be removed.
- If you are listed with the "Student" role, remove the course from your Registration Worksheet.
- Your Registration Worksheet represents those courses that you plan on registering for. If the course is listed on your Registration Worksheet, you will need to remove it.
- If you are listed with the "Visitor" role, you can either:
- Remove the course from your Canvas Worksheet
- Do nothing—after the add / drop period ends, your Visitor role will automatically be removed.**
** If you were manually added to the course with the role of Visitor, after add / drop period ends, you will see a Canvas Announcement on your Canvas Dashboard page letting you know when manual Visitor Enrollments will be purged.
- Contact your instructor and ask the instructor to add you to the course with the "Guest Student" role. Please be aware that course membership is subject to the instructor's discretion.
- As long as one of your roles is "Student" or "Guest Student," your account will continue to have access to the course.
If you have any questions about your role or unsure of what role you have in your course, you can go to your "All Courses" area in Canvas, or you can contact your instructor to have them check your role in the “People” tool.
If you have questions about your registration status in a class, please contact your Residential College Dean's office or your Departmental / School Registrar's office.
For other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.