How do I post my Syllabus in Canvas?
Note: When you post your syllabus and publish your course in Canvas, your syllabus will become available in the Yale's Course Search. It may take up to 6 hours for your syllabus to appear in Course Search.
Adding a Syllabus File to Your Canvas Course
1. Click Syllabus in the course navigation.
2. To edit the syllabus, click the Edit button.
3. You can copy content from Word documents directly into the Rich Content Editor or create original content inside of the Rich Content Editor.
4. To insert a link to the syllabus file, click the File icon at the top of the Rich Content Editor (RCE).
5. Choose Course Documents if you have already uploaded the syllabus file to the Files section of Canvas.
5. Find your syllabus file and click it in order for it to be added to the syllabus.
6. If you do not have the syllabus already uploaded into your Files area, click the file icon and choose Upload Document.
7. You can either drag and drop your syllabus file, or browse your computer to select your document. Once you have selected your file, click the submit button to see the file appear in the editor.
8. Click "Update Syllabus" to save your changes.
For more information about the Syllabus tool:
- How do I use the Syllabus as an instructor? (vendor guide)
- How do I edit the syllabus description in a course? (vendor guide)
- Beginning of term checklist
To learn more on how to write an effective syllabus:
- Niemi, N. (2015). Developing a Syllabus. Considering Teaching & Learning Series.
- Harnish, R. & Bridges, K.R (2011). "Effect of syllabus tone: students' perceptions of instructor and course." Social Psychology of Education, DOI 10.1007/s11218-011-9152-4.
For more help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.