How do I post my Syllabus in Canvas?
The syllabus description is where you can post your course description, a brief introduction, class guidelines, weekly reminders, and other important information. Please watch the video or the read the steps below to learn how to upload your syllabus.
Note: When you post your syllabus and publish your course in Canvas, your syllabus will become available in the Yale's Course Search. It may take up to 6 hours for your syllabus to appear in Course Search.
1. Click "Syllabus" in the course navigation
2. To edit the syllabus, click the "Edit" button.
3. You can copy content from Word documents directly into the Rich Content Editor or create original content inside of the Rich Content Editor.
4. To insert a link to the syllabus file, go to the content selector panel to the right of the editor and click the "Files" tab.
5. Find your syllabus file and click on it once.
6. If you do not have the syllabus already uploaded into your "Files" area, you can click the "Upload a new file" link. Click the "Choose File" button, browse your computer, select your document. Once you have selected your file, click the "Upload" button.
7. A link to your file will now appear in the editor.
8. Click "Update Syllabus" to save your changes.
For more information about the Syllabus tool:
- How do I use the Syllabus as an instructor? (vendor guide)
- How do I edit the syllabus description in a course? (vendor guide)
- Beginning of term checklist
To learn more on how to write an effective syllabus:
- Niemi, N. (2015). Developing a Syllabus. Considering Teaching & Learning Series.
- Harnish, R. & Bridges, K.R (2011). "Effect of syllabus tone: students' perceptions of instructor and course." Social Psychology of Education, DOI 10.1007/s11218-011-9152-4.
For more help, please contact email@example.com.