How do I post my Syllabus in Canvas?
- When you post your syllabus and publish your course in Canvas, your syllabus will become available in the Yale's Course Search. It may take up to 6 hours for your syllabus to appear in Course Search.
Please view the video below to watch how to upload your syllabus:
In Course Navigation, click the Syllabus link.
Edit The Syllabus Description
The syllabus description is where you can post your course description, a brief introduction, class guidelines, weekly reminders, and other important information.
NOTE: When you post your syllabus and publish your course in Canvas, your syllabus will become available in the Yale's Course Search. It may take up to 6 hours for your syllabus to appear in Course Search.
To edit the Syllabus, click the Edit button.
Add Content in the Editor
You can copy content from Word documents directly into the Rich Content Editor or create original content inside of the Rich Content Editor.
When you are finished updating the syllabus, click the "Update Syllabus" button to save your changes.
Link to a Syllabus File
You can also link to your preexisting Syllabus document by uploading it into Course Files as a PDF and linking it in the content selector. Canvas will automatically create a preview of your document so your students don't have to download it before reading it.
To insert a link, go to the content selector panel to the right of the editor and do the following:
- Click the "Files" tab.
- Click on "course files" to expand the folder.
- Find your syllabus file and click on it once.**
- A link to your file will now appear in the editor.
- Click "Update Syllabus" to save your changes.
** If you do not have the syllabus already uploaded into your "Files" area, you can use the "Upload new file" link in the content selector panel to upload your file on the spot:
- In the content selector panel, click the "Upload a new file" link.
- Click the "Choose File" button and browse your computer and select your document.
- Once you have selected your file, click the "Upload" button.
The link to the file you just uploaded will automatically appear in the editor.
For more information about the Syllabus tool:
Here is a beginning of term checklist to help you get started. If you would like more hands-on assistance, please consider attending one of our Canvas @ Yale Getting Started Workshops. You can register here.
To learn more on how to write an effective Syllabus:
Niemi, N. (2015). Developing a Syllabus. Considering Teaching & Learning Series.
Harnish, R. & Bridges, K.R (2011). Effect of syllabus tone: students' perceptions of instructor and course. Social Psychology of Education, DOI 10.1007/s11218-011-9152-4.