Zoom and Zoom HIPAA in Canvas
Managing a course in Canvas with Zoom HIPAA
If you are an instructor who has a Zoom HIPAA account, it is possible your support staff, teaching assistants, guest instructors and your students may have regular Zoom accounts. Here are some commonly asked questions about how to manage a course in Canvas in this scenario.
What are the differences between Zoom and Zoom HIPAA?
For a list of feature difference between Zoom and Zoom HIPAA please see the following guide from ITS:
How will my students access the zoom links if they do not have Zoom HIPAA accounts?
Students will still be able to click on the Zoom HIPAA integration in Canvas to join your class - they do not need to be in the Zoom HIPAA sub account to see the meetings.
When the students join the session, if they are logged into their Zoom app with their NetID and password, they will appear with their name, and (guest) after their name.
How will the other Guest Instructors or Teaching Assistants with regular Zoom accounts find the links to the Zoom HIPAA sessions through Canvas?
If the instructor scheduling the zoom class sessions has a Zoom HIPAA account, but the other members of the site do not, Students will be able to access the links directly through the Zoom HIPAA integration, but anyone with the level of TA or higher will get an error.
To find the links to the zoom sessions:
- Click on Calendar in the left navigation, and make sure the selected calendars on the right have the course you are looking for enabled.
- Click on the corresponding calendar event to see the details of the zoom meeting scheduled through Zoom HIPAA.
How do I manually record a Zoom HIPAA Session and upload it to Canvas?
Because HIPAA requirements do not allow for cloud recording in Zoom, this process is unavailable to those with Zoom HIPAA accounts. If you have a Zoom HIPAA account, you can recording your sessions locally and upload to the Media Library.
- In a Zoom session, select “Recording” on the controls bar and then click “Record to my Computer.”
- After your session ends, Zoom will process the recording and save it in your documents folder under Zoom (both PC and Mac). If you record to the cloud, you will get an email notification and a download link.
- In your Canvas course, select “Media Library” from the left-hand navigation bar.
- Select the blue “Create” button and then click “Upload Media.”
- You can drag and drop your Zoom file into the window that appears.
- After the recording uploads, you will see a green check mark appear and you can close the upload window. and
- The recording will then complete a processing sequence in Canvas.
- After the video processes, you can change the title of your video by clicking “settings” next to the video thumbnail.
- Click “edit” next to the title and save your changes.
- Note: videos are automatically available to students after they finish processing.