Viewing a Turnitin Report (Instructor)
Turnitin generates an Originality Report, which overlays a student's submission with the citation information Turnitin aggregated and checked the submission against. This Turnitin Originality Report is a valuable tool in discussing and teaching proper citation methods.
Turnitin Reports are only generated for assignments that have Turnitin enabled before students begin submitting. To create an assignment that utilizes Turnitin, check out our help article.
You cannot turn on Turnitin retroactively on an assignment submission and have the student submissions processed for an Originality Report.
From the "Grades" section of your course, you will be able to see an originality score indicators next to the assignment submissions that have Turnitin Reports available.
To view a report:
- Go to the "Grades" section of your course.
- Find the column for your Turnitin-enabled assignment.
- Click on the highlighted originality indicator for a student.
- The gradebook cell will change to become editable, click on the details arrow to the right of the grade entry box.
- In the drawer that appears on the right, click on the "SpeedGrader" link.
- Once SpeedGrader opens, you will see the Originality Score highlighted in the right side grading panel.
- Click on the Originality Score Indicator to open Turnitin.
- When it opens, you will be looking at the report for this student.
A similarity report is generated at the time of submission and again after the due date. For student papers to be compared against each other, the papers MUST be stored in the Yale Institutional Repository. The final paper is sent to the institutional repository on the due date, and the similarity reports are re-generated once the due date has passed.
For more information about the Similarity Report, please visit the Turnitin Vendor Guides:
- The Similarity Report explained
- Interpreting the Similarity Report
- Refining a Similarity Report
- Similarity scoring scenarios
- Viewing similarity matches
- Viewing sources
- Generating a new Similarity Report
- Accessing the text-only Similarity Report
- Multicolor highlighting in the Similarity Report
For more help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.