By default, you are given 1500 MB (1.5 GB) of storage space within your Canvas course, which allows you to upload files to share with your course and students.
This course storage differs from group and personal storage quotas. Please refer to our "Understanding Files and File Storage Quotas in Canvas" article for more information on each storage type.
If you have reached the 1500 MB (1.5 GB) limit in your Canvas course, you may contact [email protected] to increase storage size up to a limit of 2500 MB (2.5 GB). Any larger limits may require a consult to evaluate file storage usage.
It is advised that media files should be uploaded into the Media Library tool in your Canvas course. For other alternatives, please refer to our "Best Practices for File Storage" article.
- In the Course Navigation, click on "Files."
- In the top-right corner, click the "Upload" button.
- In the window pop-up that opens to search your computer's files, click the title of the file you want to upload and click the "Open" button.
- You can also add to your Canvas "Files" area by dragging and dropping the item from a file window (i.e. your desktop or downloads folder) directly into the Canvas file repository.
- Left-click the title of the file you wish to add and drag the file to your open browser. Your file will automatically upload.
If a file with the same name already exists in the folder where you are uploading your file, you will be asked if you want to replace or rename it.
- To create a duplicate of the file with the same name, click the "Change Name" button.
- This option will create a duplicate copy of the file with a different name.
- To upload the files as a new version of the existing file, click the "Replace" button.
- This replaces the existing file with the new one and updates anything linking to it with the new file.
- A progress bar will appear at the top of screen tracking the progress of your file upload.
- Once the upload is completed, you can view the file by clicking on the file name.
For more help, please contact [email protected].