How do I use the Sign-Up Tool?
Sign-Up Tool is an external application created by Yale to mirror the functionality of the Sign-Up Tool in Classes v*2. It is a scheduling tool that allows instructors to set up office hours or other time slots for appointments. This article is a guide on how to use the Sign-Up Tool:
Note: Sign-Up Tool is currently within a beta release. This means that there could be additional changes made based on the feedback received from those who are using the tool. If you are using the tool and would like to provide us with feedback, please fill out the following Google Form: Sign-Up Tool Beta Release Feedback.
How to Access the Sign-Up Tool
1. Click on Sign-Up Tool (Beta) from your global navigation.
How to Create a New Appointment Group
1. Click “+Appointment Group”.
2. Under "General Info", fill out the title, details, location, and address.
Note: The only information which is required is title. However, you can also include the location, details, and address for the appointment blocks.
3. Under "Create Slots", choose the date and time range of the of when the appointments will begin. You can set these appointments to repeat if your office hours occur regularly.
4. Click "Add Slots", and a slot for each appointment will appear below. Here, you can modify or delete individual slots if necessary.
5. Under "Calendars", you can select every course calendar applicable for the appointments.
6. Under "Option", you can set the maximum of users per slot, maximum of slots per users, and the user visibility.
Note: If it is set to "visible", students will be able to see who have signed up for that time slot.
7. Under "Notifications", you can modify the type of notifications that are sent out to the Instructors and TA's.
Note: Currently the notifications are global for all instructors and TA's. This means either everyone received notifications or no one receives notifications.
8. Under "Files" , you can upload a document which is relevant to the appointment group.
9. Once all of the information and settings are completed, click "Publish" to make it available to students and click "Submit" to create the appointment group.
Note: To make the slots available to students, you must publish your appointment group. Once it is published there will be a green check mark next to it.
10. Your newly created appointment group will now be listed in the Sign-Up Tool, as well as on the calendar.
How to Edit an Appointment Group or Individual Time Slots
1. From the Sign-Up Tool, click the "Edit" pencil icon.
2. A box very similar to when you created the appointment group will appear. Make your changes under any of the tabs.
3. To modify an individual time slot, go to the "Manage Slots" tab. You can change the date and time of individual time slots, and click the "Save" icon to the right to save.
Note: If you see an orange exclamation point next to a time slot you are trying to edit, it means that students have already signed up for that time slot.
4. When you are done making your changes, click "Save and Close".
How to Reserve a Time Slot for a Student
1. In order to reserve a time slot on a student's behalf, open the appointment group by clicking on the appointment group name.
2. Click on the "Manage Reservations" calendar icon for the time slot you would like to choose for the student.
3. Choose the student you are reserving the time slot for.
4. Add reservation comments if applicable.
5. Click "Reserve" to complete the reservation
6. The student will now appear under the reservations, and the time slot will show that it has been filled.
How to View who Reserved a Time Slot
1. In order to view who reserved a time slot, open the appointment group by clicking on the appointment group name.
2. Click "Participant Summary".
3. You will see the student's name listed under "Participants" for each date and time slot. You can also download the participant summary as a ".csv" file.
How to Unreserve an Student's Reservation
1. In order to unreserve an student's reservation, open the appointment group by clicking on the appointment group name.
2. Click on the "Manage Reservations" calendar icon for the time slot you would like to unreserve for the student.
3. Click on the "X" next to the student you want to unreserve.
4. Enter in your reason for cancellation
5. Click "Unreserve".
How to Email Appointment Group Participants
1. From the Sign-Up Tool, click the "Message Students" envelope icon.
2. Select the category of students you would like to message.
3. Type your message, including subject.
4. Click send. The students will receive this via their Yale email address.