How Do I Create A Custom Link in My Course Navigation Using the Redirect Tool?
The following instructions help you set up a link within your left side navigation bar which links to an external website.
Find the Redirect Tool
- From your left side navigation bar, click on “Settings” (1).
- Across the top of the screen, click the “Apps” tab (2).
- In the search bar (3) type in “Redirect”.
- The App results will now filter. Click on the “Redirect” tool (4)
Add Redirect Tool
Click the “+ Add App” button.
Enter Your Link Information
A form will pop up. Complete the form:
- Enter the “Name” (5) for the link. This is the word/phrase that users will click on to open the site.
- Enter the URL (6) for the site. You must keep the "https://" prefix. (If you leave off the "s" in "https://", your website will open in a new tab/window regardless of the other settings you select.)
- Adjust the settings as needed:
- (Optional) Force open in new tab (For External Links Only) – If you select this setting, when a user clicks on the link, the page will open in a new tab in their browser. Leave unchecked if you would like the site to open within the Canvas interface.
- Show in Course Navigation (7) – This puts your link within the left side navigation bar of your course site.
- Click the “Add App” button (8)
For more information about Course Navigation: