Bulk Import Grades into Gradebook
You can use a CSV file to upload changes to the Gradebook. You can upload information for existing assignments, or you can also use a CSV file to create new assignments in the Gradebook.
- The Gradebook CSV file downloads complete/incomplete assignments as full or no credit (e.g. for a 10-point assignment, 10 or 0). Scores with full or partial credit upload as a complete assignment; scores with zero upload as an incomplete assignment.
- CSV file uploads can create assignments and update grades; they cannot update any other area of the Gradebook, such as assignment status or comments.
- Letter Grade and GPA Scale assignments do not support any entries that are not part of the assignment's grading scheme.
- Read-only columns are automatically ignored in the upload.
- When multiple grading periods is enabled, CSV file uploads cannot create new assignments. Currently new assignments must be created in the Canvas interface. Additionally, CSV files are verified against grading period close dates; grades cannot be changed for any assignment in a closed grading period.
- An upload will not recognize assignments named Current Score, Current Points, Final Score, Final Points, or Final Grade.
- To upload changes to the Gradebook with student or assignment names containing special characters, please ensure the file is saved as a UTF-8 CSV.
Please see the Vendor Documentation to learn how to import grades into your gradebook.