How do I upload a file to a course?
- By Default, you are given 500 MB of space within your Canvas course. For any reason you feel you need more space, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we are happy to assist you.
- Video and media files should be uploaded into the Media Library tool and not into Files.
Upload a New File
1. In Course Navigation, click the Files link.
2. Click the Upload button.
3. Click the title of the file you want to upload and click the "Open" button.
4. You can also add to your files area by simply dragging and dropping the files from a file window directly into the Canvas file repository. Click the title of the file you wish to add and drag the file to your open browser. Your file will automatically upload.
Upload a New Version of an Existing File
1. If a file with the same name already exists in the folder where you are uploading your file, you will be asked if you want to replace or rename it. To create a duplicate of the file with the same name, click the "Change Name" button. This option will create a duplicate copy of the file with a different name.
2. To upload the files as a new version of the existing file, click the "Replace" button. This replaces the existing file with the new one and updates anything linking to it when the new file.
Confirm Upload and View File
1. A progress bar will appear at the top of screen tracking the progress of your file upload.
2. Once the upload is completed, you can view the file by clicking on the file name.
For more information about uploading files:
What if I have large media files?
Use the Media Library tool to house your media files for streaming. Here are a set of guides for accessing and using the Media Library in Canvas