Using the Content Selector Panel to Attach Files
You can insert links to files in your course's Files area by using the Content Selector Panel in the Rich Content Editor. The Rich Content Editor and Content Selector Panel are available in Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, Pages, Quizzes, and Syllabus.
Attach a File
The rich content editor is the text entry box that allows you to edit and format your text for announcements, assignments, discussions, pages, quizzes, and syllabus. Files can be added to these areas using the content selector panel
1. To attach files using using the content selector panel, open one of the Canvas features which support using the rich content editor and content selector panel.
2. Create your content in the rich content editor. Place your cursor in the editor where you want the link to your file to appear.
3. The content selector panel is to the right of your editor (if you do not see the panel to the right, you may need to scroll to the bottom of the page). In this panel, select the "Files" tab.
4. To link an existing file, click on the file from the list available.
5. To upload and link a new file, click "Choose File", browse your computer to select the file, and click "Upload".
6. The link to the file will appear where your cursor was placed in step 2.
7. Click the "Save" or "Update" button at the bottom to save your changes.
View Attached File
Once the link has been attached and saved, you can click on the file link to download it. However, clicking on the down arrow next to the file provides a few more options for viewing the file
1. "Preview" will open and display the file in a box within the browser without needing to download the file.
2. "Download" will download the file the same way if you clicked on the file link.
3. "Alternative formats"will provide options for alternative, accessible formats. For more information on alternative formats, please refer to our "Alternative Formats of Content in Canvas" article.
For more help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.