How do I use the Email Lists tool?
The Email Lists Tool is a tool that generates an email address for you to use to connect with the users in your course. The email addresses provided by this tool can only be emailed by official Yale email address of the instructors and TAs listed within the course site.
- Your course must be published to use the Email List tool and have the correct term (not default term)
- User must accept invitation to course to be added to the Email List
- You must enable the email tool in order to use Email List Tool
- Email list members are updated daily every 2 hours.
- Email list addresses can be emailed from an official Yale email address, Eli Apps or non-Yale email address of the instructor or TA of the course.
- Instructors/TAs can email all the course lists by default. If an instructor limits the TA’s course privileges to their enrolled section, then the TA will only be able to email sections they are enrolled in.
- There is no central storage repository of emails sent to these email addresses. Instructors and TAs will need to keep their own copies of sent emails
Add Email Lists Tool to your course
Email Lists Tool has already been added to your course, but not automatically to your course navigation. In order to add to your course navigation:
- Log into your course site in Canvas.
- Go into "Settings", then Navigation.
- Click and drag "Email Lists Tool" to appear within your course navigation.
- Click "Save"
Open Email Lists Tool
Within your course navigation bar, click the "Email Lists" button.
Create Email List
Click "Create Email List".
A new list is created and members populate. An update will run that picks up the change in enrollment in your course, this will be reflected every two hours.
The “create email list” button will become disabled once pressed.
Select an Email List
On the following screen, you will see a drop down menu containing all of the different email lists that have been created for you. Lists you have access to may include:
- All Course Members (does not include anyone with the role of "Grader" in your course)
- Individual Course Sections - if applicable (if you are using an umbrella or unofficial cross-listed site, you will see the different sections of the course which have been combined to create your full course roster)
- Individual Discussion/Lab Sections - if applicable (if you have official discussion/lab sections that the students must register for separately, they will also get a separate email list)
- All Graders - if applicable
- Graders for Individual Sections - if applicable
Click View Members
Once you have selected a list, click the "View Members" button.
View Your List
You will now see a full list of all of the people who are part of this list and the email address associated with each member.
At the top of the page, you will see the email address that you can use to email this group of users. Click on the email address or you can highlight and copy the email address.
TIP: You can also click on an individual user's email address to send an email to just that user.
Open Email Client & Compose Message
Now go to your preferred email client (recommended email client is Outlook). Compose a new message and paste the email alias into the "To:" area.
Fill in the Subject and Content of your email and send.
When you send a message to an Email Lists address, you will receive a copy of your message. Your copy will only show the Email Lists tool address in the "To" field.
TIP FOR OUTLOOK USERS ONLY
If you would like to keep a copy of your email message which includes a list of the individual email addresses that received your message, you can do so by following the instructions below:
- When you compose your message, paste the email alias into the "BCC:"area**.
- Once you have pasted the email address, wait a few seconds and then you will see a "+" symbol appear just before the email address. Click on the "+" symbol to expand the list.
- You will then see a pop-up warning telling you that the email address you pasted will be replaced with the individual members. Click "OK" to continue.
- You should now see the list of the individual email addresses.
** - You will want to make sure that you do use the BCC area if you expand the user list. This will make sure that the students will not see each other's names/email address and will not be able to reply to the entire list.
For information on Canvas's Conversations (Inbox) tool, visit this article: