Migrate Classes*v2 Test and Quizzes to Canvas Quizzes
NOTE: Canvas will be upgrading their native "Quizzes" tool in fall 2017 which will have some new features and question types.
When transitioning Tests and Quizzes from Classes*v2 to Canvas, you will need to do some "clean up". Some things that you will need to address are:
- Although all answer options will copy over, the correct answers will not be indicated in Canvas.
- Some question types in Classes*v2 are not available in Canvas. These questions will need to be rewritten to work with the question types available in Canvas.
- Images, Videos, and other media may not be copied over. When this happens, you will need to download these items from Classes*v2 and re-insert them in Canvas.
- Some feedback for questions may not be copied over - you may need to copy and paste them from Classes*v2 into Canvas.
Get Your Quiz From Classes*v2
Log into your course in Classes*v2
Go to the Test & Quizzes tool
Export your quiz
Go to the "Working Copies" tab (1) and find your quiz. From the drop down menu next to your quiz (2), select "Export" (3).
Choose Download Format
On the next screen, select the radio button for QTI v 1.2 (4) and then click the "Export" button (5).
Download Quiz File
A pop-up window will appear. Click the "Download" button (6). The file will be downloaded to your computer. It will be in the form of a .XML file and will have a name of "exported-assessment.xml" (if you have downloaded multiple quiz files, a numeric suffix may be added to the filename).
Create a .ZIP File Containing your Quiz File
Find your file
On your computer, use the Finder (Mac) or File Explorer (PC) to locate your file.
Create ZIP File: PC Users
- Right click on the file
- From the contextual menu that appears, select "Send to"
- From the sub menu, select "Compressed (zippped) folder"
Create ZIP File: Mac Users
- Hold down the "control" key on your keyboard and click on the file
- From the contextual menu, select "Compress filename"
Upload ZIP File into Your Canvas Course
Go to your Canvas Course
Go to Settings
Click the "Settings" link in your course navigation bar
Import Content Into Course
On the right side of the settings screen, click the "Import Content into this Course" button.
Select Import Type
On the Import page, click on the "Content Type" drop down menu (1) and select "QTI .zip file" (2).
Select File & Upload
Click the "Choose File" button (3) and navigate to the .ZIP file you just created. Once you have selected your file, click the "Import" button (4) to begin the import process.
Verify Import Completed
Once the process is started, you will be able to watch the progress of your import under the "Current Jobs" area. Once finished, you should see that the file is "Completed".
NOTE: Because of the issues mentioned at the beginning of this article, you will likely have a few issues noted.
Edit Your Imported Quiz
Go the Quizzes tool in your Canvas Course
Click on your quiz
Go to Quiz Editor
Click the "Edit" button.
Go to the Question Edit Screen
On the next screen, click the "Questions" tab.
Click the Edit Question Icon
Click the Edit (pencil icon) button to begin editing your question.
Edit your question
Things you will likely need to check and edit:
- Verify that the question type is correct; change if necessary.
- Verify that the point value is correct; change if necessary.
- Check the question stimulus text. There may be extra white space before your question text begins. Delete any unnecessary spaces.
- The correct answer will NOT be selected. Click on an answer to set it as the correct answer.
- When you are finished, click the "Update Question" button.
Edit all questions
Continue to view and edit all questions until everything is set up correctly.
Save your changes
When you have edited all of your questions, save your changes.
- Click the "Save" button to save your quiz as a draft that students cannot yet view/complete
- Click the "Save & Publish" button to save your changes and make the quiz available to your students.
For more information about Quizzes: