How to use the Grade Posting Policy
The gradebook now has a grade posting policy that allows you to predetermine how you want grades to be posted.
There are two types of grade posting policies that you can select. They are called "Automatic" and "Manual". By default, the gradebook is set to the "Automatic" grade posting policy.
The "Automatic" policy will make grades available to individual students immediately. As soon as a submission is graded, the grade is released and the student may see the grade.
The "Manual" policy will hide the grades until the instructor is ready to release them. Instructors must manually post the grades for each assignment. They can also choose to release grades to certain students or sections. Grades that have already been posted prior to changing to this posting policy will remain visible unless manually hidden again.
Automatic Grade Posting Policy
This is the default grade posting policy. All grades are immediately published for a student to see. As soon as a submission is graded, the grade is released and the student may see the grade. Prior to grading, a student will see a dash if they have not submitted or a paper icon if they have submitted. This is similar to what an instructor will see in the gradebook for ungraded assignment.
Manual Grade Posting Policy
The entire gradebook or individual assignments can be changed to the manual grade posting policy. Grades for graded assignments are hidden until the instructor chooses to post the grades. At that time, the instructor can choose to release the grades to all students, only students with grades, or certain sections.
A visibility icon will denote that the manual grade posting policy has been set. The icon will become orange to indicate that a graded submission is hidden. The icon will turn back when the grades have been posted.
Please note that any assignments or grades published prior to changing to the manual grade posting policy will continue to be visible to students but will still display the visibility icon. Instructors can hide the the grades of an assignment.
How to set a Gradebook Level Grade Posting Policy
Setting the grade posting policy in the gradebook will apply the posting policy to all future assignments.
1. At the gradebook level, set the grade posting policy by clicking on the cogwheel icon at the top right corner of the gradebook.
2. In the box that pops up, select the "Grade Posting Policy" tab across the top.
3. Automatic will be selected by default. You can change to the manual grade posting policy by clicking "Manually Post Grades".
4. Click update, and the gradebook will now display the visibility icons. Note that any assignments that were already posted will continue to be visible to students. Please see below on how to post and hide grades to hide visible grades.
5. You can change the grade policy back to automatic by following the steps again and selecting "Automatically Post Grades".
How to set an Assignment Level Grade Posting Policy
The assignment level posting will override the gradebook level setting. The default grade posting policy will be whatever is set at the gradebook level
1. At the assignment level, set the grade posting policy by clicking on the three dots in the title of the assignment column, and click "Grade Posting Policy".
2. Automatic will be selected if no gradebook level policy has been set. Otherwise, it will default to whatever you have set. You can change to the manual grade posting policy by clicking "Manually Post Grades".
3. Click save, and the assignment will now display the visibility icons. Please see below on how to post and hide grades.
Posting and Hiding Grades
Grades can be manually posted and hidden even if the automatic policy is set. This is also how to release or hide grades for an individual assignment when a manual policy is set.
1. To post grades, click on the three dots in the title of the assignment column, and click "Post grades". A bar will appear on the right hand side of the screen.
2. You can select who you are posting to. "Everyone" posts grades to all students even if no grade or submission exists for an individual. "Graded" will make grades only visible to students who have grades.
3. As with hiding grades, you can also post the grades by section by clicking the "Specific Sections" switch and choosing the sections. If you would like to show the grades to the students you selected above regardless of section, leave "Specific Sections" off.
4. Click "Post" to confirm that you are hiding the grades.
1. To hide grades, click on the three dots in the title of the assignment column, and click "Hide grades". A bar will appear on the right hand side of the screen.
2. You can hide the grades by section by clicking the "Specific Sections" switch and choosing the sections. If you would like to hide the grades from everyone, leave "Specific Sections" off.
3. Click "Hide" to confirm that you are hiding the grades.
For more help, please contact email@example.com.